October 24, 2008

friday free-for-all!

Okay--new feature. A "when I feel like it but always on Friday" feature!

It's when I get to do something fun that I don't normally do. Maybe it will be a review, or a poem I've written or a guest blogger. You'll just have to tune in on Friday's to find out.

Today, you get a book review...

As many of you know, I have a goal to read 100 books in 2008. I'm close. This book, The Third Angel, by Alice Hoffman, marks my 90th book! Here's the review I posted on www.goodreads.com and on CleanPlace:

Wow. Double wow. This was a great book. I wasn't so sure at first--I was a bit nervous because the story was just so so. But as the story developed it became this beautiful, sparking spider web of lives and loves and hopes and pains that I just couldn't tear myself away. I read 2/3rd of the book in one night--and only stopped because I had to get up in a few hours. I could have read this one in a single sitting if time had permitted.

When I finished, I really wanted to sing "It's a Small World After All" but with a mellow undertone and in a minor key--because that was how the story made me feel. The cool thing, I think, about this book, is that one of the characters in it writes a book that can be read front to back or back to front--and you get a different story. This book works a bit the same. If you read part 3 then 2 then 1, you would get a different effect of the story--but still the same words.


And a fun trivia fact, Alice Hoffman is Jodi Picoult's favorite writer--and with good reason!

2 comments:

MangyCat said...

Nice review! Makes me want to put this one on my to-read list. I think I shall do just that!

Sara said...

you should--it's awesome :)