January 31, 2009
January 24, 2009
January 23, 2009
It's like sending your first-born off to boarding school--it kills you to wave goodbye, let them get on that bus, and wait for school to get out.
I sent three poems to Poetry magazine, and a short-story to Glimmer Train.
And now, I'm sitting on pins and needles, waiting to hear back (which, with luck, will happen in 3-4 months).
January 17, 2009
January 15, 2009
January 13, 2009
I found this on a blog I stumbled upon. And since I love lists, well, thought I’d give this one a go. I took it as a have you ever done these things. Take it as you like.
01. Start your own blog — Yes. I have several now. Several meaning at least four.
02. Sleep under the stars — Yes—several times.
03. Play in a band — Yes, in elementary school, and jr. high.
04. Visit Hawaii — No
05. Watch a meteor shower — Yes—amazing.
06. Give more than you can afford to charity — Yes. And it was worth it.
07. Go to Disneyworld — Yes
08. Climb a mountain — No
09. Hold a praying mantis — No
10. Sing a solo — Yes… more than one. Unfortunately for all of you.
11. Bungee jump — No—with no real desire at all to do it.
12. Visit Paris — No
13. Watch a lightning storm at sea — No, but I would love to.
14. Teach yourself an art technique — Yes, if photography counts.
15. Adopt a child — No
16. Eat sushi — No, and again, no real desire.
17. Walk to the top of the Statue of Liberty — They don’t let you do this anymore—but I took the elevator as far as they would let me, and hobbled down all those steps. So I say Yes.
18. Grow your own vegetables — Yes
19. See the Mona Lisa in France — No
20. Sleep on an overnight train — No
21. Have a pillow fight — No
22. Hitch hike — Yes. In Africa.
23. Look at the rings of Saturn through a telescope — No
24. Build a snow fort — Yes
25. Hold a lamb — Yes
26. Climb to the top of a lighthouse — No
27. Run a Marathon — No—and it’s unlikely I ever will—compliments of running-induced asthma.
28. Ride in a gondola in Venice — No
29. See a total eclipse — Yes
30. Watch a sunrise or sunset — Yes
31. Hit a home run — Not that I recall
32. Go on a cruise — Only if Jungle Cruise at Disney counts—otherwise, No, not yet
33. See Niagara Falls in person — No
34. Visit the birthplace of your ancestors — No
35. Visit an Amish community — No
36. Teach yourself a new language — No
37. Have enough money to be truly satisfied — No
38. See the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person –No
39. Go rock climbing — No
40. See Michelangelo’s David — No
41. Sing karaoke in public — Yes
42. See Old Faithful geyser erupt in person — Yes
43. Buy a stranger a meal at a restaurant — No, but I might try that sometime.
44. Visit Africa — Yes
45. Walk on a beach by moonlight — No
46. Ride in a helicopter — No
47. Have your portrait painted — No
48. Go deep sea fishing — No
49. See the Sistine Chapel in person — No
50. Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris — No
51. Go scuba diving or snorkeling — No—well, at Disney, but that was in a pool, so No.
52. Kiss in the rain — No
53. Play in the mud — Yes
54. Watch a movie at a drive-in theater — No
55. Be in a movie — Yes (it didn’t say Hollywood—and I was in a short film for a play at church).
56. Visit the Great Wall of China — No
57. Start a business — No
58. Take a martial arts class — Yes
59. Visit Russia — No
60. Serve meals at a soup kitchen — Yes
61. Sell Girl Scout cookies/Boy Scout popcorn — Yes
62. Go whale watching — Yes, and had an amazing time.
63. Get or send flowers for no reason — No
64. Donate blood, platelets or plasma — Yes
65. Go sky diving — No
66. Visit a Nazi Concentration Camp — No.
67. Adopt a pet from a rescue shelter — No
68. Pilot an airplane — No
69. Save a favorite childhood toy — Yes
70. Visit the Lincoln Memorial — Yes
71. Eat Caviar — No
72. Make a quilt — I’ve tried, but quilting is not my cup of tea. I’ve crocheted blankets--
73. Stand in Times Square — Yes
74. Tour the Everglades — No
75. Visit the Viet Nam Memorial — Yes
76. See the Changing of the Guard in London — No
77. Drive a race car — No—but I could, if I asked my uncle real nice like…
78. Ride on a speeding motorcycle — No
79. See the Grand Canyon in person — Yes
80. Publish a book — Not yet
81. Visit the Vatican — No
82. Buy a brand new car — Yes
83. Walk in Jerusalem — No, but I would love to.
84. Have your picture in the newspaper — Yes
85. Read the entire Bible — Yes
86. Visit the White House — Yes--didn't go inside, but stood outside.
87. Kill and prepare an animal for eating — Yes
88. Hike the Appalachian Trail — No
89. Save someone’s life — Not that I know of—but I’ve given blood many times…
90. Sit on a jury — Not yet, but I so want to.
91. Meet someone famous — Yes
92. Join a book club –No
93. Own an iPod — No
94. Have a Facebook page — Yes (oh the shame of it—and this will go on FB)
95. See the Alamo in person — No
96. Swim in the Great Salt Lake — No
97. Cross country snow ski — No
98. Hold a snake — Yes
99. See DaVinci’s Starry Night in person — This cracks me up—we all know that Van Gogh painted Starry Night, right? And No, haven’t seen it in person.
100. Read an entire book in one day — Yes—many many many books…
Now go and answer these on your own blogs!
January 10, 2009
January 3, 2009
January 2, 2009
But now it's a new year. And I took a picture yesterday. So I'm on the way!
I set up a new blog (I know, I have so many already! But blogs are easier to store than shoes, so I don't think my fetish is too bad!) and would love for you to stop by. You'll see the world I see--beware! It's found at Flutterby365.
I'll still do Saturday Snapshots here--in fact, I might use my favorite shot of the week! Or maybe one of the "bungled" photos that didn't make the daily cut. Who knows! Stop by often to see!