May 5, 2013

notes and notions...

The other middle letter of the alphabet, N, was an easy choice for me.  Want to know what it is?  Read on, dear friend, read on!


North & South

You are thinking this is some Civil War story, and I hate to break it to you, but you are wrong.

This is a fantastic tale by Elizabeth Gaskell (who also wrote Wives & Daughters), set in the industrial period, in England.  We have a young woman who moves North with her family because her father has fallen on hard times (because he stuck to his principles), and they find there a vastly different world from the gentle South.

We also have a Jane-Austen-worthy romance between this young woman and a factory owner.  In fact, there are ways that I like this story more than P&P.  I'm sure Gaskell borrowed the plot line (all good authors do) and she made it her own.

While this is a book, I've only seen the screen version (with Richard Armitage, be still my heart!).  I have the book on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it.  I've read Gaskell before, and I like her work, so I'm sure the book will be just as wonderful as the mini-series, if not better.

No comments: