April 22, 2013

start at the very begining...

So, there is a thing going around the blogverse about doing 26 posts with each one being based on a letter of the alphabet.  I've been a very lax blogger as of late, so I think this might help get me posting on a regular basis.  I don't promise every day, but I do promise to make it to Z!

And because I need some structure, I'm going to tell you about my favorite stories--might be books, might be movies, might be a song or a person (hey, we are stories, too!).

Here we go with A...



The Abhorsen Trilogy: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen

Written by Garth Nix, this fantasy series is a bit more grit and dark than many offerings out there.  But somehow, that makes it feel so much more real to me.  The series follows Sabriel, a young woman who has gone to school on the other side of the wall from the kingdom she is born in.  Little does she know, her father happens to be a powerful mage (called Abhorsen) who has the power to send the dead back when they escape the boundaries of death.  Through the books we see Sabriel taking on the mantle of Abhorsen, then we meet Lireal, a woman raised in the icy north where she lives with the clairvoyant sisterhood but never receives her calling (though she gets to hang out and work in the most amazing library EVER!), and then on to the final book, where stories and characters collide in a final effort to keep the world from ending.  Classic fantasy mixed with some very unique features.  And of course, a mention has to be given to the Disreputable Dog, who is one of the only dogs in all of literature that can make me laugh.

If you can handle a bit of magic and things that go bump in the night, and you haven't read this series, I highly recommend it (15 and up).

No comments: