April 27, 2013

a grade you don't want...

Yay, we have made it to the sixth letter, F.  While you wouldn't want to have to explain getting F as a grade, there are many stories found under this letter, and I'm going to share two of my favorites with you (because I just can't pick between these two).




The Fields of Athenry

This song by The High Kings, an Irish group, is a great ballad.  Every time I hear it, it makes me want to write a story.  Sometimes I want to write the story of how these lovers came to this point in their life, where he had to steal bread to try to feed their child, is caught, and is now being sent away, presumably to work across the sea.  Other times it makes me want to write about them in ten or fifteen years, when the child is grown.  And sometimes it makes me just want to write any story.  The harmony and melody get me just as much as the storyline.  It doesn't hurt that I'm a sucker for Irishmen singing, either.

If you haven't heard The High Kings, check out this song here.


The Fifth Element

Yeah, I know, weird one to pair with an Irish ballad, but hey, I have eclectic taste!

This sci-fi film came out in 1997, and I saw it sometime after it left the theater.  My brother was the one who introduced me to it, and he didn't figure I'd like it much, but that I would watch it because it has Bruce Willis in it (my brother has a crush on Mila Jovovich, who also stars).

The story is classic "flawed, angry washed up hero saves the world".  There is space travel and blue aliens.  There are trips to Egypt and far away planets.  What sci-fi fan could resit?  But the thing that really gets me about this one is that Willis is great at playing vulnerable characters who are tough but deeply hurt, and Jovovich is so very charming (not just good looking) as the precious "fifth element".  

Anyone needing a good "save the world" sort of flick that will make you laugh and might make you tear up just a tiny bit, this is a good one. And did I mention the supporting cast of Ian Holm, Gary Oldman, and Luke Perry (don't judge, he's adorable)?  Oh, and Chris Tuner (not Rock), though highly annoying, is also rather charming in this one.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That's actually Chris Turner, not Chris Rock. But yes, Luke Perry is adorable. I wish he was in the movie more than just the first five minutes!

Sara said...

Ha--I always think of him as Chris Rock...why, who knows? And yeah, I wish Luke Perry was in it more, but I'll take what I can get.