July 30, 2010

gotta love the DMV...

When it comes to a shining example of government inefficiency, the DMV is usually at the top of the list. But they have made some strides in the last few years.

For example, you can now pay your yearly car registration online (at least in Colorado). No line, no waiting, quick and painless. Last year, when I freaked out that my registration was late (because I hadn't seen a card and my sticker said May), I went online and paid in a matter of minutes (turned out I was a month early...in June...go figure). This year when the card showed up (I was expecting it in July this time) I went online to pay.

But last year they only sent me a year sticker, so my car still says 5 even though it should say 7. So I thought I'd send an email asking for a new sticker. Turns out, the "contact us" button only gets you to the suggestions area, not the actual DMV. But they wrote back giving me the phone number. (Don't even get me started on how much I hate phones...)

So Monday afternoon I called and got an answering service. I left a detailed message with my name, my license plate number, and a request to send me a July sticker because I had a May sticker, and if they checked my records, my renewal is now July.

On Tuesday I get this message back: This is Aletha from the DMV. I checked your records and it looks like your date was changed last year because of a late renewal. You now renew in July and you should have a July sticker on your car. Since you already have this, you should be fine. If you have any questions call us back.

Really?

First off, I paid early last year. The year before is when they switched me. And I clearly said in my message that I did NOT have a July sticker. And now I had to call them a SECOND time.

I was a bit upset.

But Aletha didn't answer the phone, and the lady who did (thank goodness I did NOT get a machine, or I would have railed!) was very helpful. She pulled up my record, verified that I should have July, complimented me on my good driving (and not getting pulled over for expired tags!), and then apologized for her co-worker's incompetence.

And she got a tag put in the mail, hand-addressed envelope and all.

She's my hero.

1 comment:

MangyCat said...

It's so nice when you run across someone who actually decides to do their job competently.